Friday 15 August 2008

http://www.smallshinyobjects.etsy.com

The Etsy shop I will be featuring this week is called Small Shiny Objects and their store can be found at http://www.smallshinyobjects.etsy.com.

If you visit their store and look at their profile you will see that Small Shiny Objects is based in Santa Cruz, California, USA where inspiration comes from many sources ... "the natural beauty of the sea or forests surrounding us, a mist-covered flower, the fold of a fabric, or strokes of color within a painting."

"Looking at some of my favorite artwork, or beautiful nature scenes. I see the colors and patterns from those, and try to work it out in jewelry form. I made my Earth Goddess bracelet thinking of the painting Flaming June, for instance. Usually, the best pieces come from that."

With all this natural beauty around I asked them what was their favourite material to use on their jewellery?
"I love working with natural stones, all different kinds and lately I have been doing a lot more with silver wire, which has been fun as well."

When did you start making jewellery and why did you start?
"Well, I started out a couple of years ago making beaded bookmarks for my daughter's classmates. It was going to be a one-time thing, but I found myself liking it so much that I tried making a bracelet or two, then earrings and before I knew it I had a library of beading books and a shelf full of tools - the beading bug had hit me hard!"

What are your three favourite pieces of jewellery that you have made and why?

"Well, I just sold one of my favorites last week - the Dubh Lacha necklace, which had this gorgeous multi-toned glass whale tail pendant, and the necklace itself was twisted green and gold seed beads. It took a bit of work, but the result was almost too pretty for me to let go of. Another favorite I didn't let go of - I made a seashell necklace with a huge piece of sand-washed abalone I'd found on the shore, and some glass beads, along
with some antique brass chain I'd picked up at a street fair. I just love finding unusual things and getting to put them together in ways that work so well it looks almost natural. The third one is still up for sale now, my Empress necklace. It's made from this really gorgeous Imperial Jade and a rich toned carnelian (much deeper orange than most of the carnelian I've found at shows). I hope it finds a good home soon!"


How often do you make your own stuff?
"I'm almost always making my own stuff these days...it just seems more economical that way. Every once in a while though, I splurge on something really nice."

What are you hoping to make next?

"I'm going for some different styles of necklaces - some lariats, specialty chains, etc. I'm pretty excited about the stuff I've been working on, actually."

Is this your full time business or do you do other things?
"I have a day job, for sure - my shop is still too new to be a full-timer thus far. I'm a mother of two, and work in Administration. I've also fronted my own jazz band (lead vocalist), written a childrens book, and done a few other odd creative things on the side. I'm definitely a multi-tasker!"


Well the lady behind Small Shiny Objects certainly seems to be extremely talented, be it making jewellery, writing a book or being behind a microphone; if you would like to find out more about her and see some more of her fantastic designs, visit her shop at http://www.smallshinyobjects.etsy.com

Next week I will be featuring a glass artist.

2 comments:

CharmedJewellery said...

Thanks for letting me feature you in my blog. I love your jewellery, especially the earthy tones... really beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for the feature - I got a lot of views afterwards, and your blog overall is really well done, too!

Sincerely, Sarah aka SmallShinyObjects